BS IN BIOCHEMISTRY/MS IN BIOTECHNOLOGY
The PlusOne Program allows students to accelerate their study by applying graduate credits taken as an undergraduate toward both an undergraduate and a graduate degree.
If you are a motivated and academically strong student interested in preparation to enter the biotechnology industry, you can begin earning a Professional Masters (PSM) in Biotechnology beginning in your fifth semester while completing your Bachelors degree in Biochemistry. This is achieved by allowing you to “double count” up to 17 graduate credits toward both your graduate and undergraduate degree requirements.
There are several main reasons why this option might be right for you.
- Professionals with graduate level experience are likely to be more competitive upon entering the workforce.
- The PSM in Biotechnology combines advanced technical courses with a significant component of business courses preparing for work in the biotechnology industrial setting.
- A PlusOne degree program can accelerate receipt of a graduate degree and reduce its cost, since in most cases, a PlusOne degree student can earn a graduate degree with only one additional year of study beyond the Bachelors.
Are you Eligible to Apply?
If you are a Biology or Biochemistry major in your fifth or sixth semester with a minimum QPA of 3.0 in math/science courses, we welcome your application to the PlusOne program. You should be taking or have just finished Biochemistry (BIOL 2323/2324). Prior to applying you should have completed BIOL 2301/2302 Genetics and Molecular Biology, CHEM 2311/2312 Organic Chemistry, and at least one Co-op in the biotechnology industry or in an academic laboratory involved in biotechnology research. Prior to completing the full PlusOne program, you will have three Co-op experiences; at least two in the biotechnology industry. The third Co-op can be carried out while you are a graduate student and may be employed in the industry.
How do I Apply?
- Make an appointment with either Prof. Jacqueline Piret (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Biochemistry advisor Danielle Massey (email@example.com) to discuss whether this program is right for you. For Prof. Piret’s walk-in advising hours click here.
- Students will submit an Apply Yourself online application; the fee will be waived; no GRE will be required. Letters of recommendation will also be submitted electronically.
What Graduate Courses can I take?
A degree audit using the codes BIOL-BLBT-BSMS (BS Biology/MS Biotechnology) or BIOL-BCBT-BSMS (BS Biochemistry/MS Biotechnology) entered under “Explore Options” will provide a list of course requirements and choices. In essence, a fixed series of prescribed graduate courses replace most of the science electives taken for the Bachelors. Up to 17 credits of graduate courses taken as an undergraduate double-count toward your graduate degree. You will then graduate with your Bachelors and become a full time graduate student, enrolling in the same courses as other graduate students in our Master’s program.