The University Scholars: Supporting and Challenging Today's Visionaries, Innovators, and Leaders
Each year, we invite a cohort of the most outstanding high school students from across the United States and the world to come to Northeastern, providing them with a full-tuition scholarship. The University Scholars Program, however, offers students much more than financial underwriting. We recognize that these high-achieving students want to explore, to dream, and to discover and our program is designed to help each Scholar craft a unique path through Northeastern. With broad access to the resources of the entire University, we provide each Northeastern University Scholar with the opportunity to design a tailored program that potentially spans colleges, departments, and global partner institutions to address each scholar’s unique academic goals and career aspirations, and advance their entrepreneurial ideas. While each Scholar's path through the university is unique, we are also dedicated to creating an engaged, supportive interdisciplinary learning community wherein students can create lifelong intellectual engagements and friendships.
To do this, the University Scholars Program builds upon Northeastern’s core strengths as a university:
- our Honors Program -- each University Scholar is also a member of our Honors community with access to all of the resources and advising provided by the wonderful Honors team.
- the expertise of our faculty and our cutting edge research facilities
- our world renowned co-ops, experiential learning opportunities where classroom knowledge is brought to bear in the working world and vice versa
- our global perspective, cultivated by bringing students from around the globe to study in Boston and by sending students abroad for immersive international experiences
- our ethical commitment to being of use to others, embodied in our top-ranked service-learning program and Center for Community Service
and last but not least,
- our wonderful students.
In our programming, we take a holistic approach, aiming to take advantage of each Scholar’s natural drive to substantively engage with study, service, work, and their peers, while also being careful to ensure that Scholars have the space and time on their own necessary for their development and well-being.
Understanding that our Scholars come to us with a variety of skills and from a wide range of learning backgrounds, our programming seeks to offer Scholars multiple ways into the conversation about what their Northeastern experience will look like and how they might go about making their lives meaningful.
Because the University Scholars is a uniquely student-centered scholarship program, our approaches and events are designed to provide intellectual structure, while at the same time providing the flexibility the Scholars need to utilize faculty expertise and address Scholarly interests.